ASA 101 BASIC KEELBOAT
Life is short ... Live your dream.
Take your first step to cruising the lake, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, and the world with ASA 101 at LNCS. The first step in the American Sailing Association's series of sailing courses, ASA 101 Basic Keelboat Sailing teaches sailing fundamentals that apply to all sailboats. At LNCS you will learn skills including:
- Points of sail
- Proper sail trim and controls
- Tacking and jibing
- Boat parts and terminology
- Safety, rules of the road
- Docking procedures
- Heaving to and reefing
- Man overboard recovery
What You Can Expect
Boats - Our classes are taught on Capri 22 keelboats. An ideal boat for beginners, the Capri 22 is stable, responsive to helm and sail trim, and has a spacious cockpit.
Lake - Located on the southern end of Lake Norman, we have access to sail in large areas of open water and in sheltered coves, giving us the flexibility to sail in various wind conditions.
Time - The course is taught over two days, each day approximately six hours, running from 9:00am - 4:00pm depending on weather.
Learning - The course has both classroom (about 25%) and on-the-water instruction. There is a 100-question written test covering classroom topics and various sailing skills tests on the water.
With more than 350 affiliated sailing schools worldwide and 1,500 certified instructors, the American Sailing Association is the largest provider of keelboat sailing instruction in the United States. ASA 101 is a prerequisite for further ASA certifications such as 103 Coastal Cruising, 104 Bareboat Cruising and beyond. ASA Certification has recognized industry value for vacation boat chartering, insurance and owning your own boat.
Our ASA 101 graduates and other LNCS members have come together to charter sailing trips to the Chesapeake Bay and British Virgin Islands where they practice the skills they have learned while having a great time.
Cost: $560/Person; Payment is due upon registration and is non-refundable. Click here to create an account and register for a class.
Prerequisite: Must order/read/study The American Sailing Association text Sailing Made Easy prior to class in preparation for the written exam. The text can be ordered through ASA or Amazon or downloaded digitally.
Who Takes This Class: This class is for beginner or experienced sailors who are seeking the ASA 101 certification (see above) or who want to learn to sail on a larger boat.
Student/Instructor Ratio: 3 students on the boat with 1 instructor
Class Size: Most classes are a maximum of 3 students. We have a few class dates highlighted below where we can accommodate 6 students as we will have 2 boats in operation. Please keep in mind if you register more than three people in your party, you will be split up.
What to Bring/Wear:
- Please dress according to the weather forecast. Wear layers and clothing that dries quickly.
- Closed-toed shoes that strap onto your feet and dry quickly.
- Sunglasses and a strap to secure them.
- Water bottle
- Life Jacket - If you do not have one we will provide it.
|2023 Schedule of Classes|
April - June
- April 1-2, Sat/Sun
- April 13-14, Thu/Fri
- April 15-16, Sat/Sun*
- April 22-23, Sat/Sun*
- April 29-30, Sat/Sun
- May 6-7, Sat/Sun*
- May 18-19, Thu/Fri
- May 20-21, Sat/Sun
- May 22-23, Mon/Tue
- June 3-4, Sat/Sun
- June 10-11, Sat/Sun*
- June 15-16, Thu/Fri
- June 19-20, Mon/Tue
- June 24-25, Sat/Sun*
July - September
- July 8-9, Sat/Sun
- July 15-16, Sat/Sun
- July 20-21, Thu/Fri
- July 29-30, Sat/Sun
- September 2-3, Sat/Sun
- September 9-10, Sat/Sun
- September 14-15, Thu/Fri
- September 18-19, Mon/Tue
- September 23-24, Sat/Sun
- Sept. 30 - Oct. 1, Sat/Sun
October - December
- October 7-8, Sat/Sun
- October 14-15, Sat/Sun
- October 19-20, Thu/Fri
- October 30-31, Mon/Tue
- November 4-5, Sat/Sun
- November 11-12, Sat/Sun
- November 16-17, Thu/Fri
- November 18-19, Sat/Sun
- December 2-3, Sat/Sun
- December 7-8, Thu/Fri
*Highlighted classes can accommodate a maximum of 6 students using 2 different boats. Keep in mind if you are registering more than 3 people for one of these classes, you will be split up. Each boat can accommodate a maximum of 3 students.
CLICK HERE TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT AND REGISTER FOR A CLASS.
- You will receive correspondence via email or text from your instructor before class telling you what to expect.
- Class fee is NON-REFUNDABLE but is transferable. Make up classes will be offered in the event of class cancellation due to non-sailable weather conditions.
- If you have to cancel for any reason, you will be responsible for calling the office to reschedule.
- Payment MUST BE RECEIVED at time of registration in order to secure your spot.
- You do not have to be a Member to take a class.
- If you are the only student registered in a class, class time may be shortened.
- Dates are subject to change.