ASA 101 Basic Keelboat: What to Expect
Located in a quiet cove on Lake Norman, we have access to large areas of open water ideal for learning to sail larger boats. Our goal is to help you become successful and confident on the water, whether it be on the lake or the ocean. Our American Sailing Association (ASA) courses allow our students to experience sailing on larger boats and learn skills that will open up a whole new world of sailing possibilities. We even coordinate charter trips on the Chesapeake Bay and BVI (British Virgin Islands) each year for you to practice what you have learned. No matter what your sailing experience is, we have a class for you.
Learn to skipper a 22' sailboat in light to moderate winds and sea conditions in familiar waters. Taught on a Capri 22 keelboat, perfect for stability and responsiveness as well as crew comfort. For beginners, you will also learn the basics of sailing. For all skill levels, progress to sail trim control, anchoring, knots, navigation rules, safety, and basic navigation. Although not required for ASA 101, the Capri 22 is equipped with an outboard motor to facilitate training.
NOTE: ASA 101 Basic Keelboat is a prerequisite for ASA 103 Coastal Cruising which is a prerequisite for ASA 104 Bareboat Cruising.
Cost: $560/Person; Payment is due upon registration and is non-refundable.
Course Textbook: Not Provided: The American Sailing Association text Sailing Made Easy. You must order and study the text before class as there is a written exam during class time.
Order from ASA
Order from Amazon
Who Takes This Class: This class is for beginner or experienced sailors who are seeking the ASA 101 certification. It is a good option if you plan on buying a keelboat or chartering one for vacation.
Why Take This Class: This class is taught on a Capri 22' keelboat. ASA 101 Basic Keelboat is a pre-requisite to ASA 103 Coastal Cruising and ASA 104 Bareboat Cruising. If you plan on buying a keelboat or chartering a boat this is a good option for you. Some countries require that you have your International Proficiency Certificate (IPC) in order to charter a boat. Only sailors who have been qualified through ASA 104 can apply for the IPC through ASA.
Duration: About 10 hours on water / 3 hours off water
Start Time: 9:00 am each day
Student/Instructor Ratio: 2-3 Students : 1 Instructor
Boat: Capri 22
Prerequisite: Must order/read/study The American Sailing Association text Sailing Made Easy prior to class in preparation for the written exam
What to Bring/Wear:
- Please dress according to the weather forecast.
- Clothing that dries quickly
- Closed-toed shoes that strap onto your feet and dry quickly
- Water bottle
- Life Jacket - If you do not have one we will provide it.
ASA 101 Basic Keelboat is a prerequisite for ASA 103 Coastal Cruising which is a prerequisite for ASA 101 Bareboat Cruising.
Schedule of Classes
(Classes fill up quickly.)
2022 Class Dates:
- June 16-17, Thu/Fri (FULL)
- June 20-21, Mon/Tue (FULL)
- June 25-26, Sat/Sun (FULL)
- July 7-8, Thu/Fri
- July 9-10, Sat/Sun
- July 16-17, Sat/Sun (FULL)
- July 18-19, Mon/Tue (FULL)
- July 23-24, Sat/Sun (FULL)
- August 1-2, Mon/Tue (FULL)
- August 13-14, Sat/Sun (FULL)
- August 15-16, Mon/Tue (FULL)
- August 25-26, Thu/Fri
- August 27-28, Sat/Sun
- September 5-6, Mon/Tue
- September 8-9, Thu/Fri
- September 10-11, Sat/Sun
- September 17-18, Sat/Sun
- September 19-20, Mon/Tue
- September 24-25, Sat/Sun
- October 3-4, Mon/Tue
- October 8-9, Sat/Sun
- October 15-16, Sat/Sun
- October 20-21, Thu/Fri
- October 22-23, Sat/Sun
- October 31 - November 1, Mon/Tue
- November 3-4, Thu/Fri
- November 5-6, Sat/Sun
- November 12-13, Sat/Sun
- November 14-15, Mon/Tue
- November 19-20, Sat/Sun
- November 28-29, Mon/Tue
- December 1-2, Thu/Fri
- December 3-4, Sat/Sun
- December 12-13, Mon/Tue
- December 17-18, Sat/Sun
TO REGISTER FOR A CLASS: Email your name, phone number, billing address, date of birth and the date of the class in which you are interested to [email protected] or call (704) 947-7245.
- You will receive correspondence via email or text from your instructor before class telling you what to expect.
- Class fee is NON-REFUNDABLE but is transferable. Make up classes will be offered in the event of class cancellation due to non-sailable weather conditions.
- If you have to cancel for any reason, you will be responsible for calling the office to reschedule.
- Payment MUST BE RECEIVED at time of registration in order to secure your spot.
- You do not have to be a Member to take a class.
- Dates are subject to change.
If ASA 101 is not what you are looking for we also teach a more basic learn to sail class on a smaller boat that focuses strictly on the basics of sailing.
Learn to Sail
7 Hour Class, $330
If you do not have any sailing experience and wish to learn on a smaller boat, you can enroll in our Flying Scot Learn to Sail class to learn the basics needed. Click here for schedule.