WHAT TO EXPECT
Our Learn to Sail (LTS) class teaches new sailors basic skills needed to become confident and successful on the water. For adults, the next step after class is to buy a Membership and come to twice weekly structured Social Sails. Social Sails are where the magic happens!
- Fundamentals of sailing theory
- Different ways to identify the wind and gain understanding of the physical relationship between wind and the sailboat
- Rigging and de-rigging
- Necessary knots used in sailing (figure 8 and bowline)
- Steering the boat
- Sail trim
- Points of sail
- Departing and returning to the dock
- Learning to properly accelerate/decelerate
- Maritime right of way rules
- Man Overboard
- Making good decisions to stay safe on the water
2023 SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
- April 8-9, 1:00-4:30pm
- April 15-16, 1:00-4:30pm
- May 20-21, 8:30am-Noon
- May 27-28, 8:30am-Noon
- June 10 ONE DAY class, 8:30am-4:30pm
- June 24-25, 8:30am-Noon
- July 8-9, 8:30am-Noon
- July 29-30, 8:30am-Noon
- September 9 ONE DAY class, 8:30am-4:30pm
- September 23-24, 8:30am-Noon
- October 7-8, 1:00-4:30pm
- October 21-22, 1:00-4:30pm
- November 11-12, 1:00-4:30pm
- November 18-19, 1:00-4:30pm
Cost: $330/person includes Learn Sailing Right book to be picked up first day of class; all transactions incur a $3 service fee. Payment is due at registration and is non-refundable.
Who Takes This Class: 95% of this class is attended by adults but it is open to ages 15 and up without a parent/guardian. Age 12-14 accompanied by an enrolled parent/guardian. This class is for beginners who want an introduction to the sport of sailing and wish to learn sailing basics. If you plan on buying a membership at LNCS this class is a good option.
Why Take This Class: This class is taught on Flying Scots (sometimes Sunfish) which are more responsive than a larger keelboat. Both are stable and extremely responsive to varying wind speeds. If you are a beginner sailor this is the best way to learn to sail.
Duration: Two Day 7 hour class on Saturday/Sunday, 3.5 hours of instruction each day OR One Day 7 hour class, plus 1 hour lunch break
Start Time: 1:00pm April, October and November; 8:30am May-September; No classes in August
Student Instructor Ratio: 2:1 per boat for the Flying Scot (1:1 per boat if we use Sunfish)
Boat: 19' Flying Scot (occasionally Sunfish)
Age: 15+ without a parent/guardian; Ages 12-14 may register with a parent/guardian
What to Bring/Wear:
- Please dress according to the weather forecast.
- Clothing that dries quickly
- Closed-toed shoes that strap onto your feet and dry quickly
- Water bottle
- Life Jacket - If you do not have one we will provide it.
Next Step: For adults, upon completion of the Learn to Sail Class, we invite you to continue sailing with us by purchasing a 12 Month Membership. You will enjoy sailing with and learning from other sailors of all skill levels during Social Sails and becoming skipper qualified so that you can Open Sail.
Click on LOGIN at the top of the page to create an account and register for a class.
- If you are not available to take weekend classes, we could schedule a weekday class. Keep in mind these classes may take several weeks to schedule and should only be requested if you are unavailable for the regularly scheduled classes. The months of June and July are difficult to schedule. We do not usually schedule Learn to Sail classes in August due to lack of wind.
- Classes are held on 2 consecutive weekdays if possible.
- Please email the office at [email protected] to schedule a weekday lesson.
- You do not have to sign up with a partner but we must have at least 2 students to hold a class. We will contact you to coordinate dates when at least two students have signed up.
- You will receive an email from Sean O'Donnell, Center Director the day before your class from begins telling you what to expect.
- Class fee is NON-REFUNDABLE but is transferable. Make up classes will be offered in the event of class cancellation due to non-sailable weather conditions.
- If you have to cancel for any reason, you will be responsible for calling the office to reschedule.
- Payment MUST BE RECEIVED at time of registration in order to secure your spot.
- You do not have to be a Member to take a class.
- Dates are subject to change.
- Must have at least two students registered for a class to take place. You CAN sign up as an individual and we pair you with another student.
- No classes in August.
For more information call (704) 947-7245 or email [email protected].