WHAT TO EXPECT
Our adult Learn to Sail (LTS) class teaches new sailors basic skills needed to become confident and successful on the water. The next step after class is to buy a Membership and come to twice weekly structured Social Sails. Social Sails are where the magic happens!
- Fundamentals of sailing theory
- Different ways to identify the wind and gain understanding of the physical relationship between wind and the sailboat
- Rigging and de-rigging
- Necessary knots used in sailing (figure 8 and bowline)
- Steering the boat
- Sail trim
- Points of sail
- Departing and returning to the dock
- Learning to properly accelerate/decelerate
- Maritime right of way rules
- Man Overboard
- Making good decisions to stay safe on the water
Who Takes This Class: This class is for beginners who want an introduction to the sport of sailing and wish to learn sailing basics.
Why Take This Class: This class is taught on a Flying Scot, a smaller 19' boat, that is more responsive than a larger keelboat. The Scot is both stable and extremely responsive to varying wind speeds. If you are a beginner sailor this is the best way to learn to sail.
Duration: Two Day 7 hour class, 3.5 hours of instruction each day OR One Day 7 hour class, plus 1 hour lunch break
Cost: $310/person includes Learn Sailing Right book to be picked up first day of class; all transactions incur a $3 service fee
Student Instructor Ratio: 2:1 per boat
Next Step: Upon completion of the Learn to Sail Class, we invite you to continue sailing with us by purchasing a 12 Month Membership. You will enjoy sailing with and learning from other sailors of all skill levels during Social Sails and becoming skipper qualified so that you can Open Sail.
2020 WEEKEND SCHEDULE:
- April 11-12, 1:00-4:30pm: CANCELED
- April 18-19, 1:00-4:30pm: CANCELED
- May 16-17, 8:30am-Noon (FULL)
- May 30-31, 8:30am-Noon (FULL)
- June 13 ONE DAY Class, 8:30am-4:30pm (FULL)
- June 27-28, 8:30am-Noon (FULL)
- July 11-12, 8:30am-Noon (FULL)
- July 25-26, 8:30am-Noon (FULL)
- September 12 ONE DAY Class, 8:30am-4:30pm (FULL)
- September 26-27, 8:30am-Noon (FULL)
- October 3-4, 1:00-4:30pm (FULL)
- October 24-25, 1:00-4:30pm (FULL)
- November 14-15, 1:00-4:30pm
- November 21-22, 1:00-4:30pm
WEEKDAY CLASSES: ***DUE TO HIGH DEMAND AND INSTRUCTOR AVAILABILITY, WE ARE UNABLE TO ACCOMODATE WEEKDAY AND OFF-MENU LESSONS AT THIS TIME. PLEASE CHECK BACK. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.***
- If you are not available to take weekend classes, we could schedule a weekday class. Keep in mind these classes may take several weeks to schedule and should only be requested if you are unavailable on weekends.
- Classes are held on 2 consecutive weekdays.
- Please click here to put your name on the sign-up sheet for a WEEKDAY class and list your preferred weekday dates. Please email the office at [email protected] to let us know you have put your name on the list.
- You do not have to sign up with a partner but we must have at least 2 students to hold a class. We will contact you to coordinate dates when at least two students have signed up.
- If you are requesting a class date within 7 days of signing up please call the office at (704) 947-7245.
- You will receive an email the day before your class begins telling you what to expect.
- Class fee is NON-REFUNDABLE but is transferable. Make up classes will be offered in the event of class cancellation due to non-sailable weather conditions.
- Payment MUST BE RECEIVED by the Wednesday before class begins.
- You do not have to be a Member to take a class.
- Dates are subject to change.
- Must have at least two students registered for a class to take place. You CAN sign up as an individual and we pair you with another student.
- No classes in August.
Click the "Register" icon below to create an account and register for a class.
For more information call (704) 947-7245 or email [email protected].