INTRO TO FLAT WATER KAYAKING
This is a Cornelius Parks & Recreation class hosted by Lake Norman Community Sailing.
This class is designed for paddlers who have little to no experience kayaking on calm water. We will spend 20-30 minutes in the classroom with the rest of the time on the water. All sessions will be lead with experienced and qualified instructors.
- Safety & legal requirements while kayaking
- Float plan
- Avoiding potential hazards
- Life Jackets (PFDs - personal floatation devices)
- Kayak designs
- How to use a kayak paddle
- Recovery techniques if capsized
- On the water kayaking experience
2023 Class Schedule:
Time: 9:00-10:30am. Arrive by 8:45am as classes get started on time.
- Saturday, June 3
- Sunday, June 11
- Saturday June 17
- Sunday, July 9
- Saturday, July 15
- Sunday, July 23
- Saturday, August 5
- Sunday, August 13
Registration: Please click here to register. Cornelius Parks and Recreation handles all registrations, payments and questions.
Location: All classes take place at Lake Norman Community Sailing located within Blythe Landing Park. The park is on the right if heading west on Hwy 73. Drive all the way back into the park and LNCS is located in a log cabin on the left hand side. Students will meet inside.
Cost: Per lesson, the Cornelius Resident Fee is $30 and Non-Resident Fee is $36
Ages: 12+; Under 18 must be accompanied by a parent.
Prerequisites: Must know how to swim. Must complete a waiver.
Max Class Size: 8 students
Clothing: Wear what is comfortable for your regular workout (tights, shorts, etc.) taking the weather into consideration. Keep in mind you may get wet so wear something that dries quickly. Bring a change of clothes just in case.
Equipment: LNCS will provide all necessary equipment, including life vest.
You will need to bring:
- Completed Waiver
- Comfortable workout clothes that dry quickly (dress for the weather; synthetic instead of cotton)
- Water Bottle
- Hat / Sunglasses with a strap to secure hat/glasses
- Water Shoes; shoes that strap on your feet and can get wet
- Change of clothes
Click here to register.