WHAT TO EXPECT
Our adult Learn to Sail (LTS) class teaches new sailors basic skills needed to become confident and successful on the water. The next step after class is to buy a Membership and come to twice weekly structured Social Sails. Social Sails are where the magic happens!
- Fundamentals of sailing theory
- Different ways to identify the wind and gain understanding of the physical relationship between wind and the sailboat
- Rigging and de-rigging
- Necessary knots used in sailing (figure 8 and bowline)
- Steering the boat
- Sail trim
- Points of sail
- Departing and returning to the dock
- Learning to properly accelerate/decelerate
- Maritime right of way rules
- Man Overboard
- Making good decisions to stay safe on the water
Who Takes This Class: This class is for beginners who want an introduction to the sport of sailing and wish to learn sailing basics.
Why Take This Class: This class is taught on Flying Scots and Sunfish which are more responsive than a larger keelboat. Both are stable and extremely responsive to varying wind speeds. If you are a beginner sailor this is the best way to learn to sail.
Duration: Two Day 7 hour class, 3.5 hours of instruction each day OR One Day 7 hour class, plus 1 hour lunch break
Cost: $310/person includes Learn Sailing Right book to be picked up first day of class; all transactions incur a $3 service fee. Payment is due at registration and is non-refundable.
Student Instructor Ratio: 2:1 per boat for the Flying Scot; 0:1 per boat for the Sunfish
What to Bring/Wear:
- Please dress according to the weather forecast.
- Clothing that dries quickly
- Closed-toed shoes that strap onto your feet and dry quickly
- Water bottle
- Life Jacket - If you do not have one we will provide it.
Next Step: Upon completion of the Learn to Sail Class, we invite you to continue sailing with us by purchasing a 12 Month Membership. You will enjoy sailing with and learning from other sailors of all skill levels during Social Sails and becoming skipper qualified so that you can Open Sail.
- April 3-4, 1:00-4:30pm
- April 17-18, 1-4:30pm
- May 15-16, 8:30am-Noon
- May 29-30, 8:30am-Noon
- June 12 ONE DAY, 8:30am-4:30pm
- June 26-27, 8:30am-Noon
- July 10-11, 8:30am-Noon
- July 24-25, 8:30am-Noon
- September 11 ONE DAY, 8:30am-4:30pm
- September 25-26, 8:30am-Noon
- October 9-10, 1:00-4:30pm
- October 23-24, 1:00-4:30pm
- November 20-21, 1:00-4:30pm
- November 27-28, 1:00-4:30pm
- If you are not available to take weekend classes, we could schedule a weekday class. Keep in mind these classes may take several weeks to schedule and should only be requested if you are unavailable for the regularly scheduled classes.
- Classes are held on 2 consecutive weekdays if possible.
- Please email the office at [email protected] to schedule a weekday lesson.
- You do not have to sign up with a partner but we must have at least 2 students to hold a class. We will contact you to coordinate dates when at least two students have signed up.
- You will receive an email from Sean O'Donnell, Center Director the day before your class from begins telling you what to expect.
- Class fee is NON-REFUNDABLE but is transferable. Make up classes will be offered in the event of class cancellation due to non-sailable weather conditions.
- If you have to cancel for any reason, you will be responsible for calling the office to reschedule.
- Payment MUST BE RECEIVED at time of registration in order to secure your spot.
- You do not have to be a Member to take a class.
- Dates are subject to change.
- Must have at least two students registered for a class to take place. You CAN sign up as an individual and we pair you with another student.
- No classes in August.